Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hexagon I spy

I love paper pieced hexagons. They are so easy and fun, plus you can take your fabric scraps and some paper pieces just about anywhere to knock out some hexes while waiting a the library or doctor's office.
DSCN9677a

I buy my paper pieces because I want them to all be uniform, and I hate cutting them out. I also use the fold/over back stitch method to secure my fabric around the paper. Never stitch through the paper or when it comes time to take the paper out you'll be picking all your basting stitches out for every piece. I think that there are some tutorials out there about the best methods for paper piecing.

Over the last year I've been working slowly and steadily on a 2" hexagon I spy for my kids. To get a nice lap sized quilt requires about 450 pieces, so I've had to beg to raid the stashes of friends and family, pick up one or two fabrics new fabric pieces when I hit the stores, and even order scrap packs in hopes of getting a few new hexagons.

I'm now getting close to the finish line. I have stacks and stacks of lovely hexagons that are waiting to for a few more friends to join their ranks. Once they are all ready, I will start piecing them together.
DSCN9683a

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...