Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Dinner Recipe

Nothing goes better with the cold wet weather than a nice bowl of soup.  One of my favorite soups is Butternut Squash.  I have found ready made butternut squash soup at the grocery store, but it is a bit too heavy on potatoes for my taste, plus it has a lot more fat and salt than it really needs.  So I decided I was going to make a nice big batch of soup for dinner.  I can freeze the left overs and reheat them next time I want a good soup.  This is a slightly different version of my normal butternut squash soup because instead of turnips, parsnips, or potatoes it uses celery root.  I love celery root; it has a medium strong flavor and gives the soup a nice base.



Butternut Squash and Celery Root Soup 


Tools:
1 large pot
1 hand blender

Ingredients:
2 small or 1 large butternut squash
1 Celery root
3 onions
2 whole carrots
3 cloves garlic
1T dried parsley
4 C. water
generous dash of salt
Cooking spray or butter

Skin and chop up all your vegetables.  Spray cooking spray or add butter to your pot on medium high heat.  Add onions and garlic and cook until tender.  Add the butternut squash, celery root, carrots, parsley, and 4 cups water.  Turn down to medium heat, cover,  and continue cooking until all the vegetables are very tender.  Take your hand blender and puree the soup until it is the consistency that you desire.  You may need to add water at this point if the soup is too thick.  This soup tastes great topped with grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...