I spent all last night finishing this crochet shawl for my cousin's wife. Hanukkah is early this year, and I'm furiously trying to get everything together for my cousin's gift box so that it gets there sometime during the eight days of Hanukkah. Thankfully, I still have time to finish gifts for the Christmas celebrating side of my family or I'd be in real trouble!
I've made this same shawl before and I love the pattern. It's super simple and works up in a few days if you work on it a few hours a day. You can get the pattern here from ravelry. The original instructions are in French, but a kind soul translated them into English too.
The coolest part of this project for me was getting to finally use the 11 balls of Bollicine Lampedusa yarn that my mom found on super clearance a few years ago. I hated that yarn. The color was a yellowed grey and since it is a wool, alpaca, acrylic blend it looks like it had dog fur in it. I named it the dirty dog blanket yarn, and I've been avoiding it in my stash forever until a few days ago.
When I was looking in my stash for a yarn to use in this shawl, those 11 balls of yarn started staring at me in a very accusing way. They had the "why not use us" look on their little labels, and I realized that the only thing putting me off this great quality yarn was the color. So, I decided to make the whole shawl and then dye it with Rit dye in teal. I was worried about dying it, but I was really careful not to overwork the yarn in the dye bath (I didn't want any felting to occur), and it turned out much better than I imagined.
The color is actually much nicer in person than it looks in these photos. I had just enough yarn to finish the shawl, and make this flower pin so my cousin can keep her shawl in place.
I just made up a big rolled flower and hot glued a piece of felt on the back to stabilize the large pin.
I think the pin is a nice finishing touch, and it looks great on my beautiful model :)